Pet Meds and Children
January 8, 2019
Most parents are aware of the importance of keeping human medicines out of the hands of young children. But many forget the same precautions should be taken for their pets’ medications.
A review of calls to the Central Ohio Poison Control Center from 1999 through 2013 found 1,431 calls related to veterinary medicine exposures for children 19 years old or younger. The majority (88%) were for children 5 years old or younger. The most common reason for ingestion was “exploratory behavior” (61%), and ingestion was the most common route of exposure (93%).
Nearly all the exposures (97%) were not expected to cause any long-term or lasting effects. Ninety-five percent of the exposures were handled at home, and two cases resulted in moderate health effects.
These results are not surprising and are similar to household exposures to human drugs. The lesson is obvious – treat all drugs, be they prescribed by a human doctor or veterinarian – the same.